Grocery shopping has long been a dreaded chore on my to-do list. With two small kids, a trip to the grocery store is time consuming, requires a lot of planning, and has to be perfectly timed out (between naps).
There have been so many embarrassing moments along the way (like the time my daughter threw herself to the ground and then wailed hysterically the entire shopping trip. Actually, that’s pretty common – my kids hate the grocery store unless I bribe them with M&Ms).
When my daughter was an infant, we used a grocery delivery service, and I really loved it. (The groceries are delivered straight to your kitchen!!) But it was so expensive. I just can’t justify that extra cost forever.
About a year ago, my cousins were raving about grocery pickup service, and I knew I had to try it right away. Instantly I was hooked! Grocery pickup is the perfect solution for busy parents, and it is very inexpensive.
Most often I use Walmart’s grocery pickup because it is absolutely FREE. Other local grocers charge $5-10 for the service. I’ve been using it regularly for about a year now and I am still hooked!
Here’s a few things you should know:
- Walmart’s Grocery Pickup service is free. Tips are not allowed, so it really is completely free to use.
- You can order your items online or through the app. There is a bit of a learning curve as you learn how to “shop online” for groceries, but be patient. Over time your preferences will be saved and it will become quick and easy.
- You can create Favorite List that automates your shopping and saves time! There are so many things we buy regularly – milk, eggs, bread, bacon, etc. These are all saved to my favorites for easy shopping!
- Pickup is located in specially designated parking spaces, usually along the side of the building. You have a 1 hour window to pick up your groceries, and you are able to check in through their app.
- Groceries are brought to your car and placed into your trunk, so you really don’t even need to get out! (If you have kids in carseats, you know how amazing this is.)
- Fresh items like meat and produce are shown to you for approval before they are packed into your car. You can always ask for a new item if it doesn’t meet your standards.
- A question I often hear is “What if the store runs out of things?”. Walmart does a substitution system for items that run out. Usually they go above and beyond to make sure you are receiving a great value if you need substitutes.
- It’s not just for groceries – I am constantly adding diapers, wipes, shampoo, deodorant, etc to our grocery order.
- The final benefit to grocery pickup is that you SAVE MONEY! Seriously, when you shop online, you are less likely to make impulse purchases. Free Pickup + No Impulse Purchases = WIN!
Occasionally I have scheduled a pickup for 5-6 PM and my husband will stop and grab it on his way home from work!
All-in-all, grocery pickup is a wonderful service for busy parents. I love Walmart’s service because it’s FREE, convenient, and saves us money!
Curious? Try it out! Get $10 off your first order with my code here!